Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Artisit Reaction: Assign 1

Gregory Crewdson:
Crewdson's work at first glance did not attract me.
However, after browsing over more of his work, I was drawn in by the lighting and film like quality of the work. Comprised of photographs depicting strange situations, sometimes ordinary, yet always a bit off, his work is extraordinarily film like. After listening to the NPR interview, I found out he stages many of his photos, like a director making a movie. One aspect of his work that I identify with, beyond the visual, is that he doesn't always know why he creates the images he does. The reasons why and the unknown are something I struggle with in my own work. It was nice to see that great art can be made without always having to answer those questions.

Teun Hocks:
I immediately had a positive reaction to Hocks work. The playfulness and insight-fullness in which he manifests his art is contagious. Not only does he have a wonderful sense of composition, but his subject matter is particularly interesting to me. The series of work, which contains pictures of a man in a suit (which is Hocks himself) is my favorite. He places himself in odd situations, ones in which you are sure you would not normally find a man in a suit. This is what is most interesting for me. Society expects to see a man in a suit on Wall Street or driving a Mercedes, but not swinging on a chandelier or sleeping in boxes. In a way it seems like a rebellion against the expectations of society.

Jeff Wall:
Wall's work is a bit on the stagnant side for my taste. Although I feel that may be what he is trying to achieve, the brief moment captured for all to see, I am not compelled by his work. The lighting, in my opinion is very flat.

Cindy Sherman:
At first I actually thought that Sherman's work really were film stills from 1940's and 50's movies. The depiction of the stereotypical female actresses and personas in her photographs are spot on. After reading the write up of the exhibition, I then realized what she was trying to achieve. I am not a feminist, per say, yet I feel most women have a tendency to be drawn to trying to understanding our roll in history. History has not been kind to women, Sherman's work is one of pointing that out, even in recent history. I have always loved black and white photography, so immediately I like her work. I do feel that it is even more powerful int he context in which she creates it.

No comments:

Post a Comment